Syncing TrainerRoad workouts with your Strava account is easy! Our Ride Sync feature allows you to automatically add all completed Strava cycling workouts to TrainerRoad. It also allows your completed TrainerRoad workouts to upload to Strava from that day forward. It will not sync past TrainerRoad workouts automatically. Read on to find out how!
Note: TrainerRoad workouts automatically synced to Strava display as 'Indoor Cycling' activities.
How to Automatically Sync All of your TrainerRoad and Strava Rides
You'll need to set up your Ride Sync preferences via your Online Profile.
1. Log into your TR account online, and access your Account Profile page.
2. Select "Ride Sync" from the menu on the left-hand side of the screen.
3. Click "Connect".
4. Enter your Strava login credentials.
5. Authorize TR to connect with your Strava account.
Problems Connecting to Strava
Recently Strava changed their data permissions. For apps like TrainerRoad to interact with Strava, makes sure you've allowed access to "Health-Related Data" in Strava.
1. Log into your Strava account online, and access your Settings page.
2. Select "Data Permissions" from the menu on the left-hand side of the screen.
3. If not turned on, click "Allow Access". A green checkmark will appear.
4. Follow the steps above to re-sync your Strava account to TrainerRoad.
How TrainerRoad Workouts Display in Strava
TrainerRoad workouts automatically synced to Strava are tagged as 'Indoor Cycling' activities. Workout tags help athletes differentiate between their indoor and outdoor riding.
Learn more about how workouts are tagged in Strava here: How TrainerRoad Workouts are Tagged in Strava
How to Delete Strava Past Ride History from within TrainerRoad
Some users would like to delete their past ride history that is automatically imported into TrainerRoad upon connecting their Strava account with Ride Sync.
Users can delete their past ride history from the Ride Sync page by selecting "Disconnect". A prompt will appear that allows you to "Keep Data" or "Delete Data".
Note: Selecting "Keep Data" will keep all ride history imported from Strava, but will disallow any future rides from importing and exporting to and from Strava.
How to Delete Past Ride History and Sync only Future Rides to/from Strava
Some users do not wish to have their past ride history from Strava in TrainerRoad, but only wish for their future rides to sync to and from Strava.
Disconnect Ride Sync from Strava, select "Delete Data", and re-connect immediately after to delete all past ride history, but to trigger all future ride data to sync to and from Strava.
Note: If you accidentally delete all data from Strava, but wish to re-import all of your past ride history, you will need to wait 48 hours between the time you deleted the ride data and the time you reconnect Ride Sync with Strava. Reconnecting after 48 hours will trigger a re-sync of all data from Strava into TrainerRoad.
How to Fix Issues with Heart Rate Metrics (HR) not Syncing to/from Strava
Strava has some specific settings (called "health permissions") that must be turned on so that synced rides will show Heart Rate (when the ride is going to Strava from TrainerRoad). If you have these health settings disabled, there's a possibility ride will fail to sync altogether on both ends.
These permissions can be turned on by following the steps below:
- Log into your Strava account online, and access your Settings page.
- Select "Data Permissions" from the menu on the left-hand side of the screen.
- If not turned on, click "Allow Access". A green checkmark will appear.
- From there, re-sync TrainerRoad to Strava if you made any changes.