Syncing TrainerRoad workouts with your Garmin Connect account is easy! Our Ride Sync feature allows you to automatically upload all completed TR workouts to your Garmin Connect account, and automatically adds all completed Garmin Connect cycling workouts to TrainerRoad. Read on to find out how!
Important to Know Before Syncing
- TrainerRoad can only access your previous 5 years of workout activity from Garmin Connect.
- You must upload a new workout activity to Garmin Connect in order for your previous 5 years of workout activity from Garmin Connect to sync to TrainerRoad.
- TrainerRoad will only sync your previous 5 years of workout activity from Garmin Connect once during the first connection. If you disconnect and delete your Garmin Connect workouts from TrainerRoad, they will not sync again upon reconnection.
- Your past TrainerRoad rides (those done before connecting) will not be synced to Garmin Connect. Once Garmin Connect is connected to your TrainerRoad account, all your future completed rides will automatically sync to both accounts.
- If you have not set your timezone in Garmin Connect, your ride will show up under the default UTC date/time. You can manually edit the date/time in Garmin Connect by selecting Account Settings >Display Preferences >Upload Time Zone Setting.
- If you’ve been offline for a week or more and you have a bunch of completed rides queued up, there’s a chance some rides may not sync over to Garmin. This is because we’re limited to sending 10 workouts/day per user.
- TrainerRoad rides that are under 10 minutes will not sync over to Garmin Connect.
How to Automatically Sync All of your TrainerRoad and Garmin Connect Rides
1. Log into TrainerRoad to access your Account Profile.
2. Select “Ride Sync” from the menu on the left-hand side of the screen.
3. Click the option to “Connect with Garmin.”
4. Authorize TrainerRoad to access your Garmin Connect account by selecting “Agree & Connect.”
5. In Garmin Connect, authorize TrainerRoad to access your Garmin Connect account and data.
Manually Uploading Individual Workouts to Garmin Connect
You can also manually add completed TrainerRoad rides to Garmin Connect. All you need to do is download your workout in a .fit file — the file type required to upload rides to Garmin Connect.
Here's how you do it.
Obtaining the .fit Workout File
There are two ways to download your TrainerRoad workout to upload to Garmin Connect:
First, log into trainerroad.com. Once logged in, select "Past Rides" just under the "Career" option in the top-left corner.
Navigate to the rides page of your career, or click here. On the online Ride page, click the ellipses (...) button on the right, and you should see a dropdown menu appear. Click "Download'.
- Note: rides that have just been completed may need a few minutes for processing before the download is ready.
1b. TrainerRoad Application
Once logged into the app, click on the Calendar tab and scroll up until you've found the date of your workout. Click on your workout, and the workout summary will appear on the right. Click on the ellipses (...) menu on the bottom part of the summary, then click "Download".
Upload to Garmin Connect
2. Next, log into Garmin Connect and select the "+" symbol.
3. From here, select "Browse" to search for your .fit file.
4. After you upload the file you'll be able to view the ride in Garmin Connect.
If you're having trouble syncing rides to or from Garmin Connect, follow the steps below.
- Navigate to the Ride Sync page.
- Select "Re-Authorize" for Garmin. Keep in mind it may take a few minutes for rides to sync over after re-authorizing.
If you're having trouble with rides syncing even after re-authorizing, you can try disconnecting and re-connecting Garmin Connect entirely. Just go to the Ride Sync page and select "disconnect". If you're asked to keep or delete data, select "Keep".
If you're still running into trouble, reach out to our support team here and we're more than happy to help!